The Microsoft iSCSI Software Target 3.2 is designed for Windows Storage Server 2008 and it’s only distributed to storage OEM partners and MSDN Subscriptions. The iSCSI target MSI package will check for Windows SKU and show error message “Installation is not supported on this operating system.”if it’s not installing on Windows Storage Server.
To install the iSCSI target on other Windows Server SKU for testing purpose, the MSI database can be modified to remove the Launch Condition.
IMPORTANT: This is never a supported configuration and do it at your own risk.
- Install the tool “Orca” in Windows SDK. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255905
- Open the iscsitarget.msi with Orca, look for the IsSupportedSKU condition in LaunchCondition table.
- Remove the IsSupportedSKU condition
- In Tools->Options->Database, make sure the “Copy embedded streams during “Save As”” is checked.
- Click File->Save As to export the modified MSI package.